The Fourth of July can be very scary for your pup. Ask us about a new treatment option that calms your dog during noisy events.
For more information you can also go to: sileodogus.com
Flea and Tick Prevention
Ticks can transmit diseases to your pets and fleas can lead to serious health risks such as skin issues, intestinal parasites, and anemia in sick and older animals. In 30 days, 10 fleas can swell to a population of up to 250,000! It’s why treating a flea infestation is as early as possible gives you the best outcome. By the time you are seeing your dog or cat scratching your pets and home are infested.
Fleas multiply in your pet’s bedding, bed, floors, furniture, closets, pillows, drapes, etc… so after your pet is treated, remember to treat your house and yard. Since the life cycle of the flea has eggs and pupae, continuous treatment of the pet, your house and yard is needed to end a flea infestation.
Fleas can survive whenever the temperature is above 32 degrees F. With Oklahoma’s mild winter, our pets are at yearlong risk since ticks and fleas move inside during the worst winter weather.
Vectra comes in a 3 dose pack for dogs or cats. Kills through contact so parasites don’t have to bite to die. Begins reducing flea feeding in 5 minutes. Receive a special offer and discount online or at our office.
- Reduces feeding within five minutes after application.
- Starts killing fleas within 2 hours (cats and kittens)
- Starts activity within 2 hours; kills fleas within 6 hours (dogs and puppies).
- Can be used on puppies at kittens as young as 8 weeks.
- Easy tube application.
- Pet can be bathed.
Click here for more information on parasites and Vectra.
Seresto collars provide 8 months of flea and tick protection for dogs and cats. We currently carry dog collars only, however we can order for your cat.
- No need to remember monthly applications
- Continuous and reliable protection for 8 months
- Non greasy, odorless, can be removed for bathing
- Kills fleas
- Repels and kills ticks
This powerful collar also kills lice for up to 30 days and helps in the treatment and control of Sarcoptic mange (dogs only).
Heartworm & Intestinal Parasite control
What causes internal parasites in your pet?
- Puppies – studies have shown must puppies under 3 months are infected.
- Fleas – if you dog is exposed and swallows fleas (usually in the process of biting the flea) or eating the eggs.
- Roams and or hunts – so has access to wild animal interactions (i.e squirrels, raccoons, rabbits etc…)
- Visits dog parks
- Goes to the groomer
- Eats feces from other animals
- Is kept confined in an area such as a kennel where feces are not picked up on a regular basis.
- In areas where soil or water are contaminated with parasites (often these can last in the ground for years).
The type of parasites common to your pet:
- Heartworm – transmitted by mosquitos. These live inside your dog and travel the blood system to the heart. For heartworm prevention please see our page that gives full details on prevention.
- Hookworm – aren’t generally seen as they “hook” onto the inside of your pet’s intestines.
- Roundworms – may be observed in vomit or feces and are white to light brown and several inches long.
- Tapeworms – commonly see on the dog’s rear end, even in vomit and feces or the house area. They are the shape of rice or cucumber seeds.
- Whipworms – live in the intestine, and transmitted from the stool of other pets or contaminated soil. This parasite can actually penetrate skin to enter the pet. A tough parasite, requiring long term treatment.
While your pet being infested with a parasite is a horrible thought, some of these can also be transmitted to your human family – such as hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. Keeping your pet and family healthy is our top priority!
If your pet isn’t on a heartworm and intestinal parasite preventative like Iverhart or Advantage Multi, we recommend regular fecal tests and worming. Discuss it with one of our veterinarians during your next visit.
Iverhart is a chewable, once every 30 days, tablet for heartworm prevention that can be used for dogs at last 8 weeks of age. The active ingredients have been used for years by veterinarians: Ivermectin provides heartworm protection, pyrantel pamoate controls hookworms and roundworms, and praziquantel eliminates tapeworms.
Easy to give, cost effective, and available in four different sizes, based upon weight. Heartworm preventative is a prescribed medication and requires a negative heartworm test before being dispensed
Would you like a product that offers multiple protections for your dog or cat? Many clients like the one product for multiple uses! Once you compare the cost of Advantage Multi to Iverheart (heartworm medication) plus Vectra (flea topical), the price is competitive.
Advantage Multi for Dogs and Cats is a topical heartworm prevention that also provides protection against fleas, hookworm, whipworm and roundworm. Many clients like the one product for multiple uses and once you compare the cost of Advantage Mulit to Iverheart plus Vectra, the price is competitive.
Did you know that only 51% of pet owners successfully follow their veterinarian’s recommended heartworm preventative regime? Sometimes it can be hard to remember to give your monthly dose of heartworm preventative to your dog. Have you ever missed or delayed a heartworm pill?
If so, ProHeart6 may be a great option for you and your pet. It is an injectable, once every six months shot. This provides the pet owner a lot of benefits:
- 6 months continuous protection so no need to remember monthly medications.
- Professionally administered by a certified veterinarian
- Proven safe for dogs of varying sizes and breeds
- Provides treatment for hookworm infections at the same time
Before your dog can receive ProHeart6 a simple bloodtest will be done to insure he is heartworm negative.
For long term management of chronic inflammation we recommend Duralactin. Duralactin comes in a pill form and its active ingredient, MicroLactin inhibits a type of white blood cell so they do not release destructive enzymes when not needed.
Of course, we offer a variety of other anti-inflammatory and pain relieving medications suited to the needs of your pet.
A non-medicine treatment for acute or chronic pain is our therapuetic laser. Package pricing is available.
If your aging pet has been experiencing discomfort, be sure to ask if Duralactin would be a help with Dr. Best or Dr. LaNye at your next wellness exam.